Monday, March 17, 2008

A Charmed Life...

Years ago my Grandmother gave me her charm bracelet. I can remember being little and sitting next to Grandma looking at all the charms, asking over and over again to tell me about each one and why it was on the bracelet. There are some very old “charms” on this bracelet that I love having, the one engraved with my Great Grandfather Laurels (who I never met) name and dated 1931, another one dated 1929 for ‘All Around Judging Champion’, the tiny little case that holds two dimes and is dated 1904, the tiny silver frames that hold pictures of my cousin Brian, my brother and I. All the charms mean something, are a representation of me and the family I come from. My mom found the first charm that I added to this bracelet a few years ago, it is a silver high heeled shoe, and it truly is a representation of me! This weekend I found two other charms that just really seemed to fit, a palm tree because we live in Florida, and a Mickey Mouse.

I wonder if this bracelet will some day be passed to my daughter, a daughter-in-law or a granddaughter perhaps. I wonder if that girl will bring it out from its velvet pouch and look through the charms with her child as I have done with Greyson?

I hope so…

2 comments:

  1. What a nice story! Grandma Marcia will really appreciate this entry! I hope that Greyson and any new children will enjoy the bracelet as much as you have and it is nice to see the love passed on down from your Great Grandpa Laurel through your Grandma Marcia now to you and Greyson. I got teary eyed reading this because I loved my Grandpa Mishler and I wish that I had something of his to share and remember him by. What a wonderful gift from your Grandma Marcia!!!!
    Love to you all, Mom & Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost brings tears to my eyes honey, to see that old bracelet again. I'm so happy that I gave it to you and that its had such a good home and knowing that you have taken such wonderful care of it and loved it. Perhaps you will have a little girl soon....
    Love you my dear girl, Grandma Marcia

    ReplyDelete